The sole purpose of steam cleaners is to allow for easier floor and surface cleaning. However, people often use them to get rid of bed bugs and dust mites as well. They operate by heating up the water that circulates within them. That way, steam cleaners produce steam at a high pressure which eliminates grease, dirt, and germs. Another benefit of using them is that you won’t have to use and deal with harsh chemicals. Depending on what you want to clean, you can either opt for a steam mop or a handheld steam cleaner. Here are five cleaners which we consider to be the best currently on the market.
Top 5 Steam Cleaner Reviews
1. LIGHT ‘N’ EASY Multifunctional Steamer
The company behind this cleaner, ‘’LIGHT ‘N’ EASY’’, wanted to make sure that their cleaner is as universal as possible. The cleaner is highly modular since it features a couple of removable parts. It can be used as a regular steam mop, carpet cleaner, handheld cleaner, and mirror & glass cleaner. It comes with a flexible hose which enables greater control during the cleaning process (you take the power of the steamer in your palm). The hose is easily detachable.
Additionally, it features three adjustable steaming programs/modes. That is an extremely useful feature to have. The reason for that is because it appropriates the cleaning to different types of surfaces (various floorings and bed surfaces). The cleaner takes up to 30 seconds in order to produce the heated steam. Once it reaches the desired heat level it can eliminate most of the germs effortlessly. What that means is that the cleaner completely excludes the use of additional sanitization chemicals.
Another interesting fact is that the cleaner does not create puddles of water after its usage. That’s always a benefit because you don’t have to deal with soggy residue on the floors or the bedding.
The whole cleaner is quite lightweight and allows for easier maneuvering and operating. Despite its lightweight property, the cleaner yet feels sturdy enough. It doesn’t leave off the impression of a low-quality product.
All in all, we think that the product is a worthy solution to all germ-related problems that you might have. However, it’s definitely not without its flaws. We’ve summarized some points in the form of a ‘’Pro and Con’’ list.
- The cleaner offers a decent level of modularity (you can use it however you want)
- It features three modes of steaming (these are quite handy as they offer different settings for different surfaces)
- The cleaner is lightweight and easy to use
- The cleaner feels sturdy, but the plastic itself looks a bit cheap
- The mop pads are a bit thin on the sides
2. McCulloch MC1275 Steam Cleaner
McCulloch’s products always offer a high level of power and versatility. That being said, the design of MC1275 uses hot pressured steam to eliminate germs, stains, grime, and grease. We think that it’s safe to say that the cleaner delivers in that regard! We’ve tested the cleaner on a germ-infested area (on dust mites, to be precise). After two uses, the dust mites were completely gone. Just like the previous cleaner, this one doesn’t rely on the use of harsh chemicals.
One feature that separates this cleaner from the rest is the fact that it has a large tank capacity. The tank can store up to 48 ounces of water and can heat up in under eight minutes. The steam that the tank provides can last up to 45 minutes.
Furthermore, the cleaner has a good reach range. That is due to the fact that it comes with a 15-foot long power cord and a 9-foot long steam hose. These assets greatly increase the aspect of accessibility. There are 18 other accessories that come with the tank. Some of these are a floor mop, mop pads, nylon brushes, scrub pad, squeegee, brass brush, etc. The accessories contribute as well when it comes to those hard-to-reach places (under the bed, etc.).
The instruction manual that it comes with is fairly easy to understand. There are simple step-by-step instructions which showcase the setup process.
- The cleaner features a large tank capacity
- It comes with eighteen different accessories
- The cleaner has an extra-long reach range
- The additional accessories are not very durable
3. Wagner 0282014 915 On-demand Steam Cleaner
Wagner is a 120-volt steam cleaner that can be basically used in every room in your home. Its power steamer uses a natural chemical-free formula which doesn’t leave any residue. What this means is that it’s completely safe to use around pets and children. We tried using it to clean a sofa, and the results were quite pleasing. We’ve used its deep clean feature to remove bacteria and germs from underneath the surface of the bedding. It can be used with surfaces such as barbeque grills, bathroom fixtures, beds & sofas, etc.
There are two modes when it comes to the steaming process. The green light indicates that the cleaner can begin the process of steaming. The red indicator tells you that the steam is heating up. It’s relatively easy to understand its system which greatly increases the user-friendly aspect of the product.
The cleaner does come with a set of accessories (which you can change on the go). If you want to change them without turning off the device you can hold them over a bucket and then pull the trigger of the cleaner. Once the water stops flowing and the steam starts coming out, you are ready to use the steamer along with other accessories.
In terms of its performance, we wouldn’t say that it’s on par with the previous products. However, it utilizes all the necessary functions in an optimal way. When it comes to dealing with germs and bacteria, we can confirm that it does what it was designed to do.
- The cleaner comes with accessories (just like the previous one)
- It’s very user-friendly
- It does not perform equally well on different surfaces
4. PurSteam Handheld Pressurized Steam Cleaner
The main idea behind this steam cleaner was to make it affordable and effective. Considering that it is a handheld system, we can say that it (sort-of) matches that description. The effectiveness aspect is reflected in how lightweight it is. The cleaner comes with nine accessories which can help you reach those hard to reach areas. That is especially useful when dealing with bed bugs. You can easily reach all the crevices of the bed as well. You don’t have to dismantle everything and clean each part of the bed separately. The accessories are easy to set up and remove so you won’t be having any problems there.
The drawback of the device comes in the form of warm-up time. Even though the manufacturer advertises the product as a fast-heating system, we have to disagree. It takes about six to seven minutes for the device to heat up. In comparison to what is advertised (three to four minutes) that is far more.
All in all, for a handheld cleaner it does what it was designed to do. You will have to wait for a while for it to heat up. Once it heats up, it performs on a satisfactory level.
- The accessories are well designed (you can easily clean your furniture with the addition of the handheld cleaner accessories)
- It’s lightweight (even for a handheld cleaner)
- The cleaner takes too long to warm-up
- The instruction manual is a bit confusing
5. Bissell PowerFresh
This steam cleaner offers an extensive list of features. It features three modes of cleaning which are low, medium, and high. The power that it operates with is around 1500 watts. It can heat up the water and produce the steam in about 30 seconds (which is about average). Its water tank is located on the top end of the mop. The tank is fairly easy to maintain and refill (even during cleaning). Keep in mind that it’s better to use demineralized and distilled water with it. Like other products from our review list, it doesn’t rely on using chemicals. In fact, using chemicals in the water tank should be avoided by all means when using this cleaner.
The cleaner comes with a set of spring breeze fragrance discs. What they do is that they add the value of freshness to each cleaning. Furthermore, the scrubber that it comes with ensures that most bacteria and germs are eliminated right from the start. It definitely works faster in that regard in comparison to the other products that we mentioned. However, note that you should read the manual and follow the instructions if you want to achieve that level of effectiveness.
Furthermore, the shape of the cleaner’s handle is ergonomic and sturdy enough. Using the cleaner doesn’t feel like a painful experience because the handle is easy on the hands.
- The cleaner is very effective when dealing with germs because it operates 2x faster
- The handle of the cleaner is shaped well, and it doesn’t bring discomfort during the cleaning
- It bunches up the cloth when you mop it (this applies to some bed surfaces as well)
Things to Consider Before Buying a Steam Cleaner
What you end up buying strongly depends on what your preferences are. If you just want to clean the bacteria from the floors, then you should opt for a steam mop. For smaller furniture, a handheld cleaner would be a better choice. However, each of these products requires certain features in order to perform well. Here’s a short list of features.
Versatility is important if you want to be able to clean lots of different areas using only one device. Some products (like some steam mops) are limited in this regard.
2. Size & Weight
Always make sure that the dimensions of the product are to your liking. The weight of the product can influence the way you are handling it. That refers to either carrying the device or pushing it around.
3. Accessories and Attachments
Most cleaners come with different accessories which increase the versatility of the device. If you want to clean smaller surfaces and other furniture (besides beds and sofas) you should consider looking into this aspect.
4. The Size of the Water Tank
Water tank determines how much steam your device can produce. Opt for a bigger tank if you don’t want to refill the tank every now and then. Smaller tanks usually imply that you have to refill them in the middle of your cleaning.
We think that it’s important to consider how easy to use each product is. Handheld devices are the best in that regard. Larger devices do provide deeper and better cleans, but at the expense of being harder to handle.
Your monetary resources will greatly influence your decision of purchasing a steam cleaner, which goes without saying. The prices usually determine what set of features, accessories, and properties each device has. However, most steam mops and handheld cleaners have reasonable prices.
The purpose of these reviews was to illustrate different products and present them in their entirety. We hope that the text was able to appropriate the issue of selecting the right steam cleaner for you. It’s understandable that some of the products have greater advantages over the other. However, that does not exclude the products without those advantages as a viable choice.
Whatever you end up deciding on basically boils down to what your preferences are. If you want a device that can easily deal with germs and bacteria anywhere like your mattress or couch, perhaps consider purchasing one of the handheld models. If you’re focused on cleaning dust mites from the floors, then a steam mop is probably the best solution for you.
Killing Bed Bugs with Steamers
You might have heard of the popular saying, “Sleep tight, don’t let the bedbugs bite.” However, due to the popularity of that phrase, some people believe that bedbugs are a myth, just like Bigfoot. However, they exist.
They thrive in warm places, like in mattresses, and suck your blood when you are trying to enjoy a good night’s sleep. In short, they are quite a nightmare.
If you have ever woken up with an itchy feeling or have discovered swollen red skin, you might have a bed bug bite! These bites are quite different from those of fleas and mosquitos as bed bugs are known to bite in vertical rows rather than randomly.
If you are certain that the insect bites on your hand are of a bed bug, now is the time to wage war against these tiny and insufferable pests. One way to do so is by using steamers.
Can Steam Kill Bed Bugs?
Yes, it can! Steam is not just a way of killing bed bugs, but it is THE way of killing them. Among all other options available, the effectiveness of this method is unprecedented.
Why? Well, unlike other methods that deal with eliminating bed bugs of a specific stage, steam can be used to eradicate bed bugs, regardless of what stage of development they are at. However, it is important to follow the correct procedure and temperature requirement.
Also, just because steam is effective doesn’t mean you can use the steamer used for your clothes to kill bed bugs. You need to select the steamer for this purpose very carefully. The chosen product must deliver the required temperature.
Moreover, the prices of these products are quite high. Hence, it is a much better decision to buy it as a community or just rent it. After all, if you steam the room correctly, the chances of the beg bugs returning are low.
The effectiveness of the steam operation (as we like to call it) also depends on where the bed bugs are. For instance, if they are on the surface of the mattress, you can rest assured that the operation will be enough to teach those little pests a lethal lesson. It can be effective even if they are present ¾ inches below the surface of the mattress.
If the bedbugs reside in the cracks of your wall, the process will only be effective up to 2-3/8 inches into the crack.
The best temperature for killing bed bugs is at least 160-180 degrees Fahrenheit. By the end of it, you will be able to get rid of both adult bug bites and their eggs.
How to Kill Bed Bugs with Steam
Not sure how to do that? Don’t worry. You are not the only one. Dealing with bed bugs is a new territory for a lot of people. Here is how you can effectively use steam to kill bed bugs:
- Make sure that the fabric you are targeting is not too wet.
- Get your hands on a steamer that can go up to 180 degrees Fahrenheit. Try to choose a model which is portable and easy to use. The latter ensures that you don’t spend too much time trying to understand how the steamer works.
- Once you have selected the steamer and bought It, fill its tank with pure water. Make sure to use purified water and not one which is contaminated. The last thing you would want is to spray bacteria all over your sleeping place.
- After you have filled the tank, turn the steamer on. It will begin to create steam. After 10 to 15 minutes, you will have enough steam to last you for an hour.
- Now comes the fun part. Strip away the bed sheets. Begin with steaming the box springs and then move to the mattress. Don’t leave anything behind. Be it pillows or bedcovers, steam them all.
- Once you are done with your bed, move to the bed rails and moldings. Then, wage war against the drawers of your dresser.
- After you have steamed every possible piece of furniture, it might be a good idea to add a bed bug-proof cover on top of your mattress and box springs. It never hurts to be cautious.
No one can contest the effectiveness of a steamer. However, there are dangers associated with using the product as well. Here are some of the precautions you need to take:
- Thoroughly read the instructions that come with the steamer. This will allow you to know how to use the particular model and what pitfalls you need to avoid. The steamer might need to be used in a particular way that you need to know about.
- Make a point of using a steamer with a full tank. This is because steam is formed when under pressure. To make sure enough steam is created, you need a full tank.
- Since it is steam, it is bound to be hot. Sometimes it can get as hot as 320 degrees Fahrenheit. This might cause burns, so use it with caution. Under no circumstances, allow children to use the product. Also, always steam in the other direction of your face.
- Read up whether the fabric you are about to steam can withstand the procedure. Some fabrics cannot. If this is the case, you will have to resort to other methods.
- When you start the product, it might spit out boiling hot water. This is why it is important to never start it facing up. Instead, be ready with a towel so that the hot water does not burn you.
- Make a point of not using steam nozzles. This is because these nozzles are not effective in eliminating bed bugs and may just blow them away from their position.