Salt is one of those food staples that is used is almost all kinds of dishes. However, some people claim that they have salt allergies. The main thing here is that a person would typically not develop an allergic reaction by consuming salt. However, the chances of developing an allergy from either sodium or chloride, which is present in salt, are high.
Sodium chloride is not only present in salt, but it can also be found in irrigating solutions, nasal solutions, eye solutions, liquid inhalant, nasal gels, eye ointments, and injections. Hence, developing an allergic response to the medication that has sodium chloride in it is quite possible.
Following are some of the reasons why a person has allergic reactions to normal table salt:
- The body has to keep the salt level constant at all times. If a person consumes a lot of salt, the body would respond to it to try to get it back to the normal level. This is usually done by excreting excess salt via urine. However, sometimes a person can develop the symptoms including vomiting, abdominal cramping, diarrhea, and nausea.
- People develop an allergy when they use basic sodium chloride medications and produce symptoms like swelling or hives of tongue, lips, face or throat or have difficulty breathing. If you get these symptoms, it is better to get to a doctor as soon as possible.
If you experience the same symptoms as salt allergies or you think so, the best thing to do is to immediately contact a doctor. They can examine properly to confirm if you have the allergy or not.
Following are some home remedies that can be used if you have a mild allergy. However, if the allergic reaction is severe, you should immediately consult a doctor.
- If you have diarrhea because of the allergy, you can use bananas and pomegranates. Pomegranate can relieve the pain caused due to diarrhea while also curing diarrhea.
- If you have developed rashes, hives or itching, it is best to use sandalwood paste and rose water. Apply it to the irritated area, and it would control rash and hives and relieve itching.
- If you feel tingling and swelling in your mouth or tongue, rinse your mouth with aloe vera juice as frequently as possible.
- Eczema and itching occur due to the allergy. If that is happening to you, you can always drink fresh carrot juice. Not only is it very tasty, but it has also been proven that it can treat eczema if it is caused by a salt allergy.
How to Avoid
Salt is something that we use regularly. If you are suffering from the allergy, it is advisable that you stop using salt. Moreover, medication with sodium chloride should be avoided in order to prevent symptoms from flaring up. If your condition worsens, it is best to see a doctor for a proper diagnosis and treatment.